Health ethics committees have been playing a key role in safeguarding ethical standards in the life sciences to protect and guarantee human dignity and integrity.
With scientific research contributing strategically to improving the health of populations and the performance of health facilities, there was a need to update existing legislation in this regard (Decree-Law 80/2018) and thus endow the Ethics Commissions. the ability to support and encourage reflection on ethical issues by promoting the training and dissemination of information in the field of ethics and bioethics, in particular by developing the capacity to promote the integrity, probity and transparency of institutions, fostering trust, reliability, the safety and integrity of all procedures.
The Egas Moniz Ethics Committee's mission is to contribute to compliance with the principles of ethics and bioethics in the institution's activity, health care and clinical research, especially in the practice of health sciences, in the light of of the principle of the dignity of the human person, as a guarantee of the exercise of his fundamental rights, as well as the integrity, trust and security of the procedures in force in his institution.
The Ethical Appraisal Procedure focuses on compliance with ethical norms and standards, applicable law, national and international conventions and declarations, national authorizations and ethical approvals, proportionality of methods and awareness of tenderers regarding compliance with high ethical standards. In this way, this EC will endeavor to provide documentation that can support the reflection and creation of ethical values in the design and conduct of research processes.
• Declaration of Helsinki 2013;
• Decree - Law No. 80/2018 of October 15, which regulates the Ethics Committees for Health;
• DGS Informed Consent;
• Clinical Investigation Law;
• Law No. 58/2019 of August 8, which ensures the implementation, in the national legal order, of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of individuals with regard to concerns the processing of personal data and the free movement of such data;
• Assembly of the Republic Resolution No. 1/2001.